Hiking in Zell am See-Kaprun
You want to hike in Zell am See-Kaprun and have lots of fun at the same time? Well, then you are at the right place. We recommend excellent hiking areas and fun activities in these hiking areas. For everyone who is looking for the ultimate holiday experience in Austria, the region Zell am See-Kaprun is perfect. You hike up the Kitzsteinhorn, visit the Krimml Waterfalls and conquer the Schmittenhoehe. The Zell am See Kaprun region offers unforgettable moments to all those who love hiking.
Your homebase for hiking adventures
The Hotel Falkenstein is your hotel in Kaprun as a starting point for wonderful hiking excursions. The hotel is located at the foot of the Kitzsteinhorn. If you have discovered the top of the Kitzsteinhorn, then you can proudly say that you were on a 3,000-meter peak. We recommend great restaurants for each hiking area on this page. Zell am See Kaprun also offers various entertaining activities in the hiking areas, which we have of course noted down for you. You should always have the Zell am See-Kaprun Summer Card, which you receive free of charge as our guest, with you, because you enjoy many advantages with it …
… but before you start your hike, we have some tips for you on how to pack a backpack properly.
Hiking paradise Zell am See Kaprun
Discover the Schmittenhoehe
Put on your hiking boots and you’re ready to go! The Schmittenhoehe offers hiking and walking trails for all hiking levels. The cozy mountain huts and restaurants with the most beautiful view in Austria offer great snacks. Get excited about other highlights, such as the Schmittenhoehe herb and pleasure hike, the wooden sculpture park, the Jaegersteig feel-good trail or the Sissi circular hiking trail. For flight enthusiasts, tandem paragliding from the Schmittenhoehe is an unforgettable experience. Those who prefer to breathe in the mountain air slowly and relaxed should definitely try yoga on the mountain.
Play discgolf while hiking
If you can’t decide between golf and frisbee, why not give discgolf a try. On the Schmittenhoehe you swing a frisbee instead of a golf club. It is important to hit them in a basket with as few throws as possible. You move “downhill” from 1850 meters to 1400 meters above sea level. An exciting 18-basket course is waiting for you and your loved ones. Fun for kids and grown-ups.
Our family tip: Visit the children’s paradise Schmidolin’s Adventure World or do the 4-lake hike and the “on tour in nature – family hike”.
- Summer card advantages: all lifts in operation are free of charge, Schmittenhoehebahn to the summit 1x free, guided hikes free of charge (as a guest of Das Falkenstein Hotel Kaprun you get the Zell am See Kaprun Summer Card free of charge)
- Special features: Schmidolin’s Adventure World, paragliding and panoramic tandem flights, yoga on the mountain, playing disc golf
- Culinary: Areit Lounge, Franzl, Sonnkogel Restaurant, Blaickner’s Sonnalm, Eder Hut, Jaga Alm, Pinzgauer Hut, Schmiedhof Alm
Walking on the Maiskogel
Our local mountain Maiskogel guarantees a relaxing holiday for nature lovers and families. With the new 3K K-onnection cable car you can comfortably get up the mountain from the village center of Kaprun. Here you can enjoy the surrounding mountains, indulge in alpine life or enjoy the Austrian delicacies in numerous rustic huts. Explore alpine grassland and hut hiking trails through the untouched landscape. Also a paradise for mountain bikers.
Fun guarantee: The Maisiflitzer
NEW: with the new 3K K-onnection cable car, you float on to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier ski area, even in winter! Our family tip: The Maisiflitzer Alpine roller coaster is a thrill for the whole family. You will find easier hiking trails for the whole family and a children’s play paradise at the valley station in the village center.
- Advantages with your Summer Card: Cable cars can be used as often as you like free of charge
- Special features: All year round toboggan run Maisiflitzer, children’s play paradise at the foot of the Schaufelberg, downhill mountain bike trail Jetzbachsteig, free guided hikes, wonderful family ski area in winter
- Culinary delights: Glocknerblick, Maiskogel Alm Ranch, Stangerbauer snack station, Unteraigen snack station